I am a music lover! I’m not proficient with any particular instrument (I took piano lessons in elementary school and learned a few songs on the guitar and drums from ex-boyfriends), but I do enjoy singing and dancing.
We even have dance competitions in our kitchen – our little girl, Danielle, is fierce when it’s time for “Kitchen Dance Battles.” We also play The Voice in our living room where Danielle, my husband and I will turn our chairs around, act like one of this season’s judges and critique each other while singing karaoke. Danielle and I also sing solos in church.
This topic of music made me think about all the different genres and styles of music that I listen to and why I like certain songs when I’m in a particular mood. So, the following is a list of some of my go-to songs (or artists) depending on whatever mood I’m in or emotion I’m feeling at the time.
- Angry or Mad: Old-school Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down
- Nostalgic (elementary school & younger): Diana Ross & the Supremes, The Four Tops, Prince, Tag Team, Vanilla Ice, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder
- Nostalgic (high school days): Everclear, Third Eye Blind, Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, Deftones, Creed, Savage Garden, Spice Girls, The Verve Pipe
- Riding backroads in high school: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Guns N’ Roses, Live
- Sad or Artsy: Oasis, My Chemical Romance, Radiohead, The Perishers, The Postal Service, City and Colour
- Folkie feeling: Iron & Wine, Ray Lamontagne, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- Dancing Mood: Beyonce, Eve, Chris Brown, Lil Jon, Pitbull, The Black Eyed Peas, Flo Rida, LMFAO, Outkast
- Happy: Pharrell Williams’ Happy, The Darkness I Believe in a Thing Called Love, Foot Loose, PSY Gangnam Style
- Karaoke Mood: Beyonce, Sia, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Lauryn Hill, Disney songs
- Researching/Studying: Classical pieces, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros, Eluvium, Hammock, Muse
Do you have any go-to songs for certain occasions or circumstances? Feel free to share. I can always add to my list.