This is the easiest salad you’ll ever make. I go back to it again and again. Feel free to make your own variations and combos that incorporate your favorite greens, berries and nuts.
- Greens (Choose a mix of your favorites; I like baby spinach and a spring greens mix. The dark, leafy lettuces are more heart healthy. I’d encourage you to skip the iceberg lettuce.)
- Package of dried/sweet Cranberries (I like the Fresh Gourmet brand.)
- Nuts (Choose your favorite; I like walnuts because they are heart healthy.)
- 1 box of fresh Raspberries (and/or strawberries)
- Blueberries (very heart healthy)
- Sliced Pears (another option)
- Vinaigrette (Make your own or buy one; there are lots of tasty choices at Stauffers, Giant, Zest!, Panera Bread, Olio Olive Oils & Balsamics, Williams-Sonoma, etc.)
Place the greens in a large serving bowl or on individual plates. Sprinkle the cranberries over the greens. Toss on the nuts. Add the berries. Dress the salad. That’s it! You’re done! You’ll have enough time to open a bottle of wine (make it red to stay with the heart-healthy theme) and relax over a glass before your guests arrive.