Breakfast Salad With Pancetta, Potatoes, Peppers and Asiago CheeseServes 6
In my book, there’s always room for salad, even for breakfast or brunch. One way to make that an easier sell for others is to include typical breakfast ingredients such as new potatoes, roasted peppers, bacon and cheese. All that’s missing are the eggs, right? When it’s served with quiche or frittata, this salad really hits the spot. And we are not talking about a huge portion. A little healthy side is just right to elevate your brunch to a much brighter place.
- 2 Tbsp. Champagne Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Honey
- To Taste: Kosher or Sea Salt
- To Taste: Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 2 cups New Potatoes, steamed or boiled until tender, cooled and halved
- 2 Red and/or Orange Bell Peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup Sweet Onion, thin, short julienne
- 1/4 cup Basil, fresh, roughly sliced
- 1 tsp. Chives, fresh, finely slivered
- 3 cups Butter, Boston Bib and/or Romaine Heart of Lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 lb. Pancetta, thinly sliced, cooked like bacon, until crisp, broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup Asiago Cheese, firm, shaved
- In a small bowl, whisk together the first set of ingredients to make the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the new potatoes, roasted peppers, onion, basil and chives with the vinaigrette dressing. Fold in the greens and half of the pancetta. Garnish with the remaining pancetta and Asiago cheese.