Originally published in Southern Living magazine, October 2013
Serves 6 to 8
Perfectly balanced with different flavors, textures, and colors, this salad is a colorful addition to any fall spread.
- 1 lb. red or yellow Beets, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
- ½ cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ cup White Wine Vinegar
- 5 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- ½ medium-size Sweet Onion, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Spicy Brown Mustard
- 6 thick Applewood-smoked Bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 Gala Apple (about 8 oz.), thinly sliced
- 3 cups firmly packed Baby Arugula
- 3 cups loosely packed Frisée, torn
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf Parsley leaves
- ¼ cup toasted chopped Walnuts
- To Taste: Salt and Pepper
- Microwave beets and water to cover in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain and rinse beets.
- Stir together white balsamic vinegar, next 3 ingredients, and 2 Tbsp. water; pour into a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Add beets and onion. Seal and chill 4 hours.
- Drain beets and onion, reserving 1/3 cup pickling liquid. Discard remaining liquid. Whisk together olive oil, next 2 ingredients, and reserved 1/3 cup pickling liquid until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss together bacon, next 5 ingredients, and desired amount of dressing. Serve with beets, onions and remaining dressing.