Everybody loves grilled cheese sandwiches. Throw some sautéed wild mushrooms into them and they become fantastic hors d’oeuvres when cut into quarters. Recipe makes 16 sandwiches.
- 1 cup Wild Mushrooms
- Olive Oil, for sautéing
- To Taste: Shallots
- To Taste: Garlic
- To Taste: Thyme
- 8 slices of Bread, hearty variety such as French, Tuscan or Rye
- 8 slices Provolone or Swiss Cheese, not too thin
- 1 stick Butter, unsalted, for pan-frying
- Sauté the mushrooms in olive oil. Add shallots, garlic and thyme.
- Place 4 slices of bread on a work surface. Top each piece of bread with a slice of the cheese.
- Divide the mushroom mixture among the 4 pieces of bread, spreading it on top of the cheese. Add ingredients such as bacon, ham, etc. Top the mushrooms with the remaining slices of cheese and finish with the remaining slices of bread.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, melt half of the butter and add the sandwiches. Fry the sandwiches in the butter until nicely browned.
- Carefully flip each sandwich and add more butter. Allow for the second side to brown nicely. Press the sandwiches with a spatula to flatten and allow the cheese to melt evenly.
- Remove the sandwiches to a towel-lined platter and drain any excess butter. Cut the sandwiches in quarters and serve immediately. This is something that you can do in an electric frying pan in front of your guests. Or, better yet, let them do it themselves!