Serves 4-8 (1-2 chops per person) The following is not a marinade, but rather a last-minute addition that leaves a lot of flavor to the meat. Fresh herbs, garlic, a little olive oil, a splash of citrus, a little vinegar and salt are added just before grilling for a zesty finish.
- 1 Rack of Venison, “Frenched,” trimmed of all outer silver skin, cut into individual chops
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp. Orange Zest, grated
- 1 Tbsp. Orange Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. Chives, fresh, slivered
- 1 Tbsp. Cilantro Leaves, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- To taste: Kosher or Sea Salt and Black Pepper, freshly ground
Prepare a medium-hot grill directly over a mature bed of embers. Season chops with remaining ingredients, in the order they are listed, just before grilling. Quickly oil the grill before you add the meat. Place chops on grill and cook for approx. 2 min. – the meat should have good grill marks. Rotate chops 90 degrees and cook for another 2 min. Flip chops and cook for approx. 2 min. more, then rotate 90 degrees again and cook to desired doneness: approx. 2 min. more for medium (if allowed to rest a few minutes); venison chops are best when cooked between medium-rare and medium. Remove chops from grill to a warm platter, then allow chops to rest for a few minutes before cutting into them. Serve with any of your favorite sides.