My source for this Pumpkin Bread recipe was Cook in Clay with Glazed Schlemmertopf. I did make some modifications: I deleted the dates and walnuts, replaced wheat flour with spelt, and used flaxseed meal instead of wheat germ. My source for this dessert topper Cinnamon Whipped Cream is Two Sisters (twosisterscrafting.com), which touts it as the perfect finishing touch for fall desserts — especially those involving pumpkin and apples.
For the Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 3 cups pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or to taste)
For the Pumpkin Bread While the lid of the Schlemmertopf is soaking: Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon mixture into a greased Schlemmertopf, cover and place in the oven. Set temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes for extra browning. For the Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- Chill a metal mixing bowl and the whisk attachment to your mixer in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and add the powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form.