- 6 thick strips of Bacon - chop, render & reserve
- 1/2 Onion - diced
- 1 Red Pepper - roasted & diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. minced Garlic
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. AP Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 quart Heavy Cream
- 3 to 4 New Potatoes - par-boiled, shocked, and diced
- 1 to 2 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 pound Smoked Gouda Cheese - shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a 4-quart pot, medium to high heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove pot from heat, and remove bacon to drain on a paper towel.
- Return the pot and the bacon fat to medium heat, add the diced onion and stir until the onion breaks a sweat. Add the diced pepper and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Incorporate the flour into the pan and stir until liquid is absorbed.
- Add chicken stock, stir and scrape all bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add heavy cream, potatoes, fresh thyme sprigs. Reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for 10-12 minutes and stir to prevent any burning.
- Remove thyme sprigs.
- Add milk and Gouda cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Adjust seasonings.