A little of the good stuff goes a long way for these tasty little bites. If you are looking to cut your costs and can’t afford to put out a bottomless bowl of cocktail shrimp and crab claws, yet you want to offer some elegant, expensive looking hors d’oeuvres, then these might be just the thing. When nicely presented, the tiniest slice of crab or half of a shrimp can give the same perceived value, yet not blow your budget. Recipe makes two dozen.
- 8 slices White Bread
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise, extra heavy
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon, zest of
- 1 tsp. Lemon, juice of
- 1 King Crab
- 6 Shrimp
- 4 Tbsp. Cocktail Sauce
- 24 sprigs (tiny) Dill
- Using a 1-1/2-inch-round ring cutter, cut 3 rounds of bread from each slice. Toast the slices in the oven till lightly browned and crisp. Allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice. Spread a dollop of the mixture on each round of bread.
- Using the thick leg section of the king crab, cut the meat from shell (discard the shell). Squeeze the crab leg section in a towel to whisk out extra water.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the meat into at least 12 slices. Place a slice on half of the bread rounds.
- Cook the shrimp, peel and de-vein it and cut each one in half. Place a piece of shrimp on each of the remaining bread rounds. Spoon a tiny bit of cocktail sauce onto each bread round and garnish with sprigs of dill.